Tuesday, September 23, 2014

3D Prints

 

 Print #1                     (Downloaded model from Thingiverse)
3D Printer Setup

I originally decided on 3D printing a pre-designed model of a Lamborghini; however, upon reaching the Makerspace where the 3D printers were available for use, I realized that my original idea would take more than 2 hours to print.  Judging by the number of students ahead of me in line to print their own objects (and the number of people who came in directly after me), I thought it would make more sense to select a smaller/ simpler object to print.  To be courteous to those waiting in line behind me, I decided to print a key chain with a Mitsubishi logo on its face.  The key chain is featured below.
End Product (Mitsubishi Logo Key Chain)







The duration time for the printing of this Mitsubishi key chain
was roughly 10 minutes.  Since I was unable to print an object with a lot of detail (one that would deliver the "wow" factor), I decided that the next project I printed (and designed) would be more intricate, detailed, and of interest to me.  While this object was not the original object I had planned on printing, I thought it turned out alright for what it was.  The image on the right portrays the object as larger than its printed size.  At its longest point, the key chain is roughly an inch long.  I thought the stabilizer material (the zig-zag oval under which the key chain is resting in the picture) looked cooler/ turned out to be more interesting than the key chain itself.








Print #2    House

I designed this house using Sketch Up.  It took roughly 1-2 hours to draw all of the lines that make up this house.  I designed the house using architecture that is popular in Rome, GA.



Printing this project took 3 hours.  Unfortunately, I printed the house on too small of a scale.  As a result, the printer could not recreate the level of detail my house had.  The printer could not print the siding, various windows, etc.  The printer printed supports that were larger than some of the actual pieces of the house, which made it difficult to remove the supports from the structure.  Also, the printer failed to print an entire wall, which caused support problems.



As you can see, the final product (below) did not turn out so well,  The entire front porch is missing, and lots of the small details didn't make it.  It was a good learning experience though.  Next time I will be sure to make a larger print.





(Picture above shows all of the pieces that broke off of my project)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered By Blogger